Tuesday 7 July 2009

So Whitby it is

So, after a discussion with Matt, I have decided Whitby will definitely be the location of my getaway from life (it's cheaper than Ireland). Whitby was, together with nearby Scarborough, a very important village in my upbringing. It was not just the place of many happy childhood holidays but also, I assume, the birthplace of my love of literature; thanks to the Whitby Witches Trilogy by Robin Jarvis.


Probably more famous for the Deptford Mice ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deptford_Mice ) Robin Jarvis' Whitby trilogy had a remarkable impact on me. Those books were the earliest I can remember enjoying reading and I even remember now that some of the "novels" I wrote in Primary school took a LOT of inspiration from his writing style. In particular the use of the exclamation "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo", the pronunciation of which, if I remember correctly, caused many arguments between me and my brother; he was right, I was wrong.

Whitby is also the home of Dracula, which is why it is a goth haven, whitby jet (a beautiful natural stone, and the stunning Whitby Abbey (together with its famous 199 steps (I remember counting them as a kid)). It's a beautiful place and will be perfect for me to read, explore, write and reconnect with myself. I am gonna come back a new man, so you better not get in my way when I do.

So, hopefully depending on the hotel, next Tuesday I will be boarding the first of 4 trains and I 5 and a half hour journey up to the little seaside village. It's going to be immense.

Peace, Love, Unity.

XxxXxxX

Whitby Jet necklace: 

The Abbey:


A guide to the village: http://www.yorkshire-guide.co.uk/whitby.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment