Tuesday 7 July 2009

Following on

Simply because I couldn't be arsed to edit my post below.

Here is a poem about Whitby Jet by John Dunne. It's also the source of the terms "as black as jet' or "jet black".

I'm proper excited now =)

A Jet Ring Sent

Thou art not as black, as my heart,
Nor half so brittle as her heart, thou art,
What wouldst thou say? Shall both our properties by thee be spoke,
Nothing more endless nothing sooner broke?

Marriage rings are not of this stuff,
Oh, why should aught less precious, or less tough
figure our loves? Except in thy name thou have bid to say,
I am cheap, and naught but fashion, fling me away.

Yet stay with me since thou art come,
Circle this fingers top, which didst her thumb.
Be justly proud, and gladly safe, that thou dost dwell with me.
She that, Oh, broke her faith, would soon break thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment