Sunday 20 December 2009

Walton-Upon-Thames

So tomorrow, provided my folks don't get stranded in an ice filled Stockport, I will be headed back to leafy Surrey. It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks but I think for once the pros of going home do vastly outweigh the cons.

Pros (in no particular order):

Damn near everyone I know in Birmingham has gone home;
The cat;
The family. Dad's been ill, mum's been stressed at work whilst my brother seems to be in the best mood he's been in for years thanks to LAMDA. It'll be good to catch up;
Free food (provided my mum remembers I've been a Vegetarian for 10 months;
The bath, I don't have a bath at uni and I miss it, showers just aren't relaxing;
Old friends. Seeing people like Matt, Tibbin, SMeg, Dre, Jake, Rob, Jay, Lucy, Alice, Doug, Grainger, Mike, Jenny, Belayet (hopefully this time), the old Sainsbury's lot, Elliot, Christoph, the old Swan lot, and many many more is gonna be awesome;
Christmas eve. I look forward to Christmas eve more than I look forward to Christmas itself. A break from tradition this year with the O. Chaser and then Weybridge instead of the Swan but it should still be a killer night;
The river, the muse of my teenage years, Birmingham's canals just don't cut it;
Having a garden again (though the weather means I probably won't spend much time in it;
The stars, a lack of light pollution back home means I can see the damn things again;
Much less smoking;
The return of midnight wanderings, the two near muggings in Birmingham had left me a near hermit after nightfall up here, back home will be safer;
The bike, I have a bike at uni, it's useless so, weather permitting, I'll be able to get my ride on again while I'm back;
Central London's only a 20 minute train ride away, I miss the SouthBank and the West End;
A chance to clear my head and reconcile some serious issues;
Less of an urge to order takeaway pizza;
Dad's CD collection, there's still a lot of music there I need to adopt into my own collection;
I'm sure there are more.

Cons (again, no particular order);
My dad's old bass is nowhere near as nice to play as mine which I can't take back with me;
Severely limited internet access. Since my mum insists on carrying on with the world's oldest modem (which my laptop still refuses to accept even exists) means that my internet access is limited to whenever I can convince my mum to let me hijack her laptop. This is probably a pro tbh as I spend far too much time on facebook and not enough time reading when I have full net access. Also since there's no new HIMYM episodes till January the 11th it's not like I'll be missing out on that;
Some loss of freedom, mostly to stay up until whenever doing whatever, my mum's a bloody light sleeper which stops me being able to do that at home;
My first Vegetarian Christmas. I'm actually kind of dreading this, resisting the sausage meat is going to be a huge challenge, hooray for Quorn!;
Being reminded of the people from home who have died this year;
I always get fat at home;
Walton-Upon-Thames is boring with a severely small amount of things to do;
There's probably more but tbh, I'm kinda looking forward to going home for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment