Saturday 21 November 2009

I finally got round to listening to...

Fall Out Boy's "My Heart Will Always be the B-Side to My Tongue" despite having had it on my iTunes for ages now. I was surprised enough at how good the cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart was that I ended looking for it on youtube as well.

Found this version with just Patrick Stump and it basically highlights why I like him as a singer. This video shows what I've always thought; he actually has a decent singing technique. There's a certain quality to it that most pop-punk singers lack (including many of my favourites). It's not that he has a remarkable range (though it's pretty impressive) it's that he knows how to use his diaphragm to support the notes. Correct diaphragm technique can even make a 20 a day smoker sound fucking ace. There are moments where he lets his shoulders take a little too much of the strain for the sharp intakes of breath but the vibrato is where it's at. There's no falsity in that, he's not doing it with his mouth; it's a guttural vibrato and it's fucking ace.

No comments:

Post a Comment